(Formally "Plan V: A Van Dwelling Blog", when I lived in a 1978 Dodge Xplorer 228 Class B motorhome van)

Saturday, March 30, 2013

1973 Toyota RV-2 concept camping car

I just came across this... a 1973 Toyota RV-2 concept car. It looks like a green DeLorean station wagon from the side and a Corvette station wagon from the rear (the big round lights). It expanded out to a camper in the rear. It's too bad it never caught on.

Click the images below to expand.



Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oil Pressure gauge

I had a little scare a few weeks ago. I was driving it and the low oil pressure light was flickering. It had plenty of oil but was flickering.

Turns out the sensor wire wasn't hooked up to the sensor for some odd reason. While driving, it was lightly bouncing and contacting the block, completing the ground circuit making the light flicker.

I decided to install an oil pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on it. Since a new oil pressure switch is it's cheap ($10 for an Napa Echlin) and easy to install, I figured why not.

My old one suddenly quit working. I can't remember if I dropped it or not. Could be I did and just don't remember. Anyhow, it stopped working. I got the new one and put it in and it's working fine.

The first photo shows the old pressure switch that I put back in to test the gauge's brass lines for leaks. I didn't want to trust the nylon lines that came with the gauge so it cost me almost twice as much with an AutoGauge copper line kit. There was just enough brass line, 6ft.

Oh, and the oil pressure is fine. It's within the correct oil pressure range according to the 78 Chrysler factory service manual.



Wall carpet installed

I finally got around to getting the tan automotive carpet I bought some time ago cut and installed on the wall. I used craft aerosol adhesive I got a few years ago at a yard sale or someplace and it works great.

I tried to make it one piece not screwed it up around the window so I had to end up making it two pieces with a seam that doesn't look perfect but it could be worse. Overall I think it looks pretty good. It certainly looks better with the seam than it did with too much cut off around the window. I had enough slack at the left edge I was able to fix it and make it look good.

Most important of all, it looks MUCH better than it did with the messed up old wallpaper it had when I got it.

I am probably going to get some new curtain tracks since the old ones are broken into several pieces being 34 year old plastic. They are still usable.. but I may as well just get new ones since they aren't too awfully expensive.