Sunday, October 20, 2013

Oct. 20, 2013 update - Brownfield, TX

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. The debt ceiling bullshit in Congress stressed me out during last week and into this week, until it was patched for a few months. Being on Social Security Disability, there was the real possibility my check was going to stop.

Once I left the Dallas Fort Worth area, I started heading up toward Amarillo in case I needed to cancel my grand travel plans and head straight for Seattle on what bit of money I have in savings and what money I had left this month. I would have had enough to pay for gas to get up there and have a bit left to eat on until I could figure out a way to make some money.

But since that's not an issue for now, I got back on track and went down to Lubbock, TX from Vernon TX on the 16th when the news broke that the debt ceiling was going to be raised for now. I had considered staying in Lubbock several days but decided not to. Nor did I see any sights there.

While at the library in Lubbock, I found out about an awesome website, FreeCampsites.net which lets you map search free (and cheap) campgrounds and RV parks.

I promptly went down to Coleman Park in Brownfield, TX on the 17th and have already spent 3 nights here, having discovered the free RV park the city provides. I have 30A electrical service and water hookup for free. They also provide a single dump station.

They have a box for donations at the dump station which I may contribute a bit to, since it has saved me money for sure staying here and given me a good place to park for several days and allowed me to dump my tanks, work on the van a bit and shower (in the van) since there is no anytime fitness around here.

(More below photos)


Tonight will be my 4th and last night here. Then I will be moving on to another free RV park either in Seagraves, TX or Seminole, TX. The one in Seagraves is very small and has train tracks next to it so I might not want to bother staying there, assuming I can even get a spot. They don't have a limit you can stay, so long as you pay $5/night after 3 nights so some people live there full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment