Saturday, June 23, 2018

Mason City, IA

I stayed around the Mason City, IA area a couple of nights.

One day, somebody called the cops on me at a park in the middle of the day. Grown people act like frightened children anymore. "OMG call the cops, somebody in an RV is at the park!!!!!! PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

He did his duty, checking out the bogus "suspicious person" call by running my license, then going on his way. I get that they have to investigate, so I don't blame the officer. He was polite and civil.

It actually happened again in another (but smaller) Iowa town the next day or two after. I left the truck and trailer in a park, with an extension cord plugged in for a fan for Lucy, then walked to a nearby grocery store. As I was returning, a sheriff's dept SUV was cruising through the park, approaching me. Asked if that was my trailer, if I asked to use electric, blah-blah.

I said no I didn't ask but it was a warm day and I just have it for a box fan for my dog, I figured if anyone hated it that much, they could unplug it. He didn't fuss about it anymore though. The main thing I always get asked in most city parks is "you know you can't stay here overnight, right?". This time was no exception. ("No, I just fell of the turnip truck and didn't know that!").

So anyway, I had used the public pool there in the park (it had a nearly unmarked RV dump station, go figure!) for the $4 or whatever it was and got to briefly shower, enough to wash my hair at least. He ran my license then left, same as in Mason City. He did cruise around a bit longer while I was out walking Lucy, but I wasn't bothered anymore.

But back to Mason City: I happened across a small car show! The 1950 Studebaker Starlight was the highlight car for me, the only one I bothered taking pictures of.








Over on the east side of town, I spent a day at the park there that has this old steam train engine. The cotton trees (?) were molting like crazy, it looked like it was snowing, so much was falling and blowing in the wind.








No comments:

Post a Comment